Neo4J 4.0 Upgrade failing

Dear Everyone,

I am attempting to upgrade from version 3.5.13 to 4.0. I keep getting the error: Could not find a compatible version of graph algorithm.

I have read the log file, but most of it is outside of my knowledge base at the moment. I hav pasted the log below. Could someone assist me with this?

2020-02-04 16:43:22.091+0000 ERROR Failed to start Neo4j: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabaseService@558b4942' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "'void apoc.Pools.(org.neo4j.logging.internal.LogService, org.neo4j.procedure.impl.GlobalProceduresRegistry, apoc.ApocConfig)'". Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabaseService@558b4942' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "'void apoc.Pools.(org.neo4j.logging.internal.LogService, org.neo4j.procedure.impl.GlobalProceduresRegistry, apoc.ApocConfig)'".
org.neo4j.server.ServerStartupException: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabaseService@558b4942' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "'void apoc.Pools.(org.neo4j.logging.internal.LogService, org.neo4j.procedure.impl.GlobalProceduresRegistry, apoc.ApocConfig)'".
at org.neo4j.server.exception.ServerStartupErrors.translateToServerStartupError(ServerStartupErrors.java:45)
at org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer.start(AbstractNeoServer.java:163)
at org.neo4j.server.ServerBootstrapper.start(ServerBootstrapper.java:114)
at org.neo4j.server.ServerBootstrapper.start(ServerBootstrapper.java:89)
at com.neo4j.server.enterprise.EnterpriseEntryPoint.main(EnterpriseEntryPoint.java:25)
Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabaseService@558b4942' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "'void apoc.Pools.(org.neo4j.logging.internal.LogService, org.neo4j.procedure.impl.GlobalProceduresRegistry, apoc.ApocConfig)'".
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.start(LifeSupport.java:465)
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.start(LifeSupport.java:111)
at org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer.start(AbstractNeoServer.java:156)
... 3 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error starting database server at /Users/jeffrey/Library/Application Support/Neo4j Desktop/Application/neo4jDatabases/database-10915a8d-07fd-44b8-b4bd-4e273755c48b/installation-4.0.0/data/databases
at org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.startDatabaseServer(DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.java:167)
at org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.build(DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.java:145)
at com.neo4j.server.database.EnterpriseGraphFactory.newDatabaseManagementService(EnterpriseGraphFactory.java:38)
at org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabaseService.start(LifecycleManagingDatabaseService.java:88)
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.start(LifeSupport.java:444)
... 5 more
Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component 'org.neo4j.kernel.extension.GlobalExtensions@7cf6a5f9' failed to initialize. Please see the attached cause exception "'void apoc.Pools.(org.neo4j.logging.internal.LogService, org.neo4j.procedure.impl.GlobalProceduresRegistry, apoc.ApocConfig)'".
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.init(LifeSupport.java:426)
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.init(LifeSupport.java:66)
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.start(LifeSupport.java:102)
at org.neo4j.graphdb.facade.DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.startDatabaseServer(DatabaseManagementServiceFactory.java:158)
... 9 more
Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.extension.FailedToBuildExtensionException: Failed to build kernel extension Extension:PoolExtensionFactory[APOC_POOLS] because it is compiled with a reference to a class, method, or field, that is not in the class path: ''void apoc.Pools.(org.neo4j.logging.internal.LogService, org.neo4j.procedure.impl.GlobalProceduresRegistry, apoc.ApocConfig)''. The most common cause of this problem, is that Neo4j has been upgraded without also upgrading allinstalled extensions, such as APOC. Make sure that all of your extensions are build against your specific version of Neo4j.
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.ExtensionFailureStrategies.wrap(ExtensionFailureStrategies.java:60)
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.ExtensionFailureStrategies$1.handle(ExtensionFailureStrategies.java:76)
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.AbstractExtensions.init(AbstractExtensions.java:72)
at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.init(LifeSupport.java:405)
... 12 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'void apoc.Pools.(org.neo4j.logging.internal.LogService, org.neo4j.procedure.impl.GlobalProceduresRegistry, apoc.ApocConfig)'
at apoc.PoolExtensionFactory.newInstance(PoolExtensionFactory.java:24)
at apoc.PoolExtensionFactory.newInstance(PoolExtensionFactory.java:10)
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.AbstractExtensions.newInstance(AbstractExtensions.java:124)
at org.neo4j.kernel.extension.AbstractExtensions.init(AbstractExtensions.java:62)
... 13 more

Looks like you have some plugins installed. The logs only mention APOC, but you also mentioned graph-algorithms.

The short answer is, remove all your plugins first, and find supported versions. I believe APOC is the only plugin that has been updated for Neo4j 4.0 as of yet.

The longer answer is to carefully read the 4.0 migration guide, and the Neo4j 4.0 release announcement.

Hello Tony,

Thank you for that explanation. I look forward to the day that I can make sense of the logs. I'm just getting into Neo4J, and it is quite something.

Kind regards,
Tideon

Hello Tony,

New issue after the install. It asked me to enter the password. Which seems odd. But it isn't accepting the password I am giving it. So I attempted to reset the password I get the error: Set password failed: Error: Failed to change the password

What do I do now?

Here is the log
2020-02-04 18:07:35.173+0000 INFO Remote interface available at http://localhost:7474/
2020-02-04 18:08:15.090+0000 WARN The client is unauthorized due to authentication failure.
2020-02-04 18:08:23.726+0000 WARN The client is unauthorized due to authentication failure.
2020-02-04 18:08:52.722+0000 WARN The client is unauthorized due to authentication failure.
2020-02-04 18:09:04.377+0000 WARN The client is unauthorized due to authentication failure.
2020-02-04 18:09:09.231+0000 WARN Unsupported authentication token, missing key scheme: { user_agent='neo4j-javascript/0.0.0-dev' }
2020-02-04 18:09:21.640+0000 WARN The client is unauthorized due to authentication failure.
2020-02-04 18:09:33.102+0000 WARN The client is unauthorized due to authentication failure.
2020-02-04 18:09:41.043+0000 WARN The client is unauthorized due to authentication failure.
2020-02-04 18:11:03.959+0000 WARN The client is unauthorized due to authentication failure.

Kind regards,
Tideon

Hello Tony,

Also when I go over to the browser to do a query, I get the following error.

Neo.TransientError.Database.DatabaseUnavailable

Database 'graph.db' is unavailable.

Kind regards,
Tideon

1 Like

Hello @tideon,

Several other users have encountered similar issues in the upgrade, with solutions discussed here: