Resetting password

Hello,

I installed Neo4j on an Ubuntu 18.04 droplet on DigitalOcean following this.

I've set up the certificates follow this.

Now I'm trying to log in.

So I've set an initial password follow the documentation. Now I try to log in from the Browser but I get a Neo.ClientError.Security.Unauthorized: The client is unauthorized due to authentication failure.

Fine, I see somewhere on SO that neo4j-admin set-initial-password is obsolete (?), so I move on to this part of the documentation, password and user recovery although my version of cypher-shell doesn't seem to be able to accept a -d argument: cypher-shell: error: unrecognized arguments: '-d'

Fine, I'm trying the second option, I'll execute ALTER USER neo4j SET PASSWORD 'mypassword'. But no, I'm getting a:

Invalid input 'A': expected <init> (line 1, column 1 (offset: 0))
"ALTER USER neo4j SET PASSWORD 'mypassword'

Which I guess is because I'm not connected to the system db, but I can't see how to achieve that anyway :/

Now I'm starting to be a bit stuck, as I'm a total beginner, and I don't know if my install is obsolete, or the doc, or if I missed something (probably that one :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Do you know what version of Neo4j you've installed?

And the default user/password should be neo4j/neo4j, which you can enter in the Neo4j Browser.

1 Like

I'm running neo4j 3.5.14.

The default user/password doesn't work, but I didn't know about it before starting the password recovery steps...

Well, I reinstalled everything from scratch and now it works like a charm. I most certainly broke something while installing/copy-pasting-instructions-without-reading the first time :slight_smile:

Hi, you can use "Halin Neo4j Monitoring" application from Neo4j Desktop. This app allows to you manage users and others great features.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks, that's a very useful app :slight_smile:

Ah, that explains why the ALTER USER syntax didn't work - that was only introduced in the 4.0 series.

Glad you've got it sorted.