Recommended laptop specs to run neo4j efficiently?

I recently bought the with the following specs:

• Core i7-8750H CPU 2.20GHz, 8th gen
  • 32 GB RAM, DDR4
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with Max - Q design
  • 500GB SSD

! If you need more info, let me know !

I thought it would be a good a good choice, however the combo of python 3, bitcoin data, neo4j desktop, Windows Linux Subsystem on windows 10 x64, led initially to speakers' issues followed by a blue screen.

By speakers' issues I mean a "transformers" sound - unfortunately, I don't know how else to describe better. I turned off the laptop and turned it back on after one day of not using it at all. The sound issues were gone, but after running the following query on the bitcoin graph database with 16.883.071 nodes and a bit more than 20 million relationships:

match (source:Address)-[:REDEEMED]->(ip:IncomingPayment)-[:INCOMING_PAYMENT]->(tx:Transaction)-[:SENT_COINS]->(op:OutgoingPayment)-[:WAS_SENT_TO]->(destination:Address)
CREATE (source)-[r:sent_money_to]->(destination)
RETURN source, destination, r
LIMIT 1000

The blue screen came up.

At the same time a python script was running which was downloading the rest of the bitcoin data from blockchain.info.

My question is, shouldn't a laptop with these specs handle the workload? If not, what would you suggest?

I need a powerful laptop that can run neo4j, graph algorithms and predictive modelling - machine learning scripts efficiently.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Howdy!

That is a nice rig for the day-to-day PC user. That is a six-core (12 threads) cpu--are you able to upgrade to an 8-core (maybe 12-core) cpu on that laptop? If so, do that--if not, you should consider upgrading with another 6-core with a faster base speed. An 8-core would be better (possible in the same cpu family group)--but that is unlikely due to restrictions by most laptop producers.

That cpu can be matched with 64Gb of memory--that would be the first upgrade to do (if the laptop allows to upgrade to 64Gb). You would have to look at the upgrade specs for your make and model.

I am about to build my next PC with a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core AM4 processor (with matching MB), with 128 Gb of memory, and nice GPU to match (for retro-gaming on occasion). This PC will house Oracle 12c, SQL Server 2017 for LInux, Neo4j, and PostgeSQL 11 running concurrently on OpenSuse.

If those three activities you noted are very resource intensive--definitely need more CPU power and more memory. Good luck!

~Alfonso