randomUUID not supported in neo4j version 3.5.1 community [Centos 6]

I'm using NEO4J version 3.5.1 community.
Although randomUUID() is supported since version 3.4 (see link below) (not to be confused with similar function in APOC), and works fine in the Desktop and Docker versions, on the linux community installation I receive an error message 'Unknown function'.
In the below there is no distinction between editions. Am I missing something?

Tried on 3.5.1 community via tar.gz. return randomUUID(); worked as expected. How did you install Neo4j in your case?

Hi Stefan,
Thanks - I installed on Centos 6 with yum, and updated with yum update. It's reporting in both bash and in the browser as version 3.5.1
Should I reinstall?

before doing so you could inspect the output of call dbms.functions() to check if it's listed.
Do you have any other plugins installed? if so remove them temporarily from plugins folder and see if randomUUID works.

I currently don't have any plugins installed (the plugins folder is empty).
call dbms.functions() returns a list of only date/time related functions, randomUUID is not listed

same upon a reinstall? If so, I consider this a packaging bug.

Stefan - I've uninstalled (removing /var/lib/neo4j manually as well) and reinstalled with yum, with the same result.
By the way, I've installed NEO4J on another machine with Centos 7 without problem (randomUUID working fine).

You mention this might be a package issue (on Centos 6 only?). I'm not sure I'm able to build from source, is there anything else you can think of to try?

PS: Maybe the thread subject should now be corrected

Good to hear that it works on Centos 7. To track down why it doesn't work on centos 6 could you please file a bug report at Sign in to GitHub · GitHub ?
Amended [Centos6] to the thread's subject.

Thanks - bug reported, any further help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Just to let you know this is no longer an issue for us, as we've decided to migrate to Centos 7.

This issue appears to have returned to us.
After everything working fine for a long period, when installing APOC (putting the JAR into the plugins folder), randomUUID() is once again not working. (Unknown function 'randomUUID')
Removing APOC from the plugins folder did not resolve the issue.
It does not appear listed when calling: CALL dbms.functions()

Neo4j version: enterprise 3.5.6
Operating system: CentOS 7

I think this mystery may be solved - it appears that changing the whitelist to allow things like APOC somehow disables neo4j's own function. Surely this is a bug though?

2019-10-24 17:54:24.910+0000 WARN [o.n.k.i.p.Procedures] The function 'randomUUID' is not on the whitelist and won't be loaded.