After upgrade to 1.3.7 "Database failed to start: Database process terminated, see logs.. Check the logs"

I have the Neo4j Desktop app on a Windows VM. It was working fine this morning until I upgraded to version 1.3.7 and now I am getting the error message "Database failed to start: Database process terminated, see logs.. Check the logs" when I try to start any of my databases. Also a "crash report" screen pops up.

Here is what I found under the "Logs" tab:

+ Powershell -NoProfile -NonInteractive -NoLogo `
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (WARNING: An ill...on has occurred:String) [], RemoteException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.neo4j.helpers.Exceptions 
(file:/C:/tools/neo4j-community/neo4j-community-3.4.9/lib/neo4j-common-3.4.9.jar) to field 
java.lang.Throwable.detailMessage
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.neo4j.helpers.Exceptions
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

2020-09-16 16:27:57.339+0000 ERROR Failed to start Neo4j: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1ba9117e' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "C:\tools\neo4j-community\neo4j-community-3.4.9\logs\debug.log (Access is denied)". Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1ba9117e' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "C:\tools\neo4j-community\neo4j-community-3.4.9\logs\debug.log (Access is denied)".
org.neo4j.server.ServerStartupException: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1ba9117e' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "C:\tools\neo4j-community\neo4j-community-3.4.9\logs\debug.log (Access is denied)".
	at org.neo4j.server.exception.ServerStartupErrors.translateToServerStartupError(ServerStartupErrors.java:68)
	at org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer.start(AbstractNeoServer.java:220)
	at org.neo4j.server.ServerBootstrapper.start(ServerBootstrapper.java:111)
	at org.neo4j.server.ServerBootstrapper.start(ServerBootstrapper.java:79)
	at org.neo4j.server.CommunityEntryPoint.main(CommunityEntryPoint.java:32)
Caused by: org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component 'org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase@1ba9117e' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "C:\tools\neo4j-community\neo4j-community-3.4.9\logs\debug.log (Access is denied)".
	at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.start(LifeSupport.java:466)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport.start(LifeSupport.java:107)
	at org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer.start(AbstractNeoServer.java:212)
	... 3 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\tools\neo4j-community\neo4j-community-3.4.9\logs\debug.log (Access is denied)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.PlatformModule.createLogService(PlatformModule.java:297)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.PlatformModule.<init>(PlatformModule.java:161)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory.createPlatform(GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory.java:245)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory.initFacade(GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory.java:157)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory.newFacade(GraphDatabaseFacadeFactory.java:125)
	at org.neo4j.server.CommunityNeoServer.lambda$static$0(CommunityNeoServer.java:58)
	at org.neo4j.server.database.LifecycleManagingDatabase.start(LifecycleManagingDatabase.java:88)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.lifecycle.LifeSupport$LifecycleInstance.start(LifeSupport.java:445)
	... 5 more
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\tools\neo4j-community\neo4j-community-3.4.9\logs\debug.log (Access is denied)
	at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.open0(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.open(FileOutputStream.java:298)
	at java.base/java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:237)
	at org.neo4j.io.fs.DefaultFileSystemAbstraction.openAsOutputStream(DefaultFileSystemAbstraction.java:76)
	at org.neo4j.io.file.Files.createOrOpenAsOutputStream(Files.java:51)
	at org.neo4j.logging.RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.openOutputFile(RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.java:338)
	at org.neo4j.logging.RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.<init>(RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.java:137)
	at org.neo4j.logging.RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.<init>(RotatingFileOutputStreamSupplier.java:121)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.logging.StoreLogService.<init>(StoreLogService.java:180)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.logging.StoreLogService.<init>(StoreLogService.java:44)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.logging.StoreLogService$Builder.build(StoreLogService.java:124)
	at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.factory.PlatformModule.createLogService(PlatformModule.java:293)
	... 12 more

@emroberts95

The log file you've shared is for Neo4j DBMS Community Edition 3.4.9. Community Edition and 3.4.x versions of Neo4j are not fully supported in Neo4j Desktop.

Are you able to start the DBMS manually, from the command line?

-ABK

I reverted to 1.3.4 and my graphs are working again. However, all of my graphs are 3.5.6 so I'm not sure why it is showing a 3.4.x log...

That's interesting. Oh, wait. It's just in the file path. Were these originally 3.4.9 databases that were upgraded to 3.5.6? If you don't mind, it'd be helpful to know a bit more so we can reproduce the error happening in Desktop 1.3.7. I realize you may have had these for a while so reconstructing their life may be tricky.

-ABK

I don't remember, is there a way for me to check this?

Reverting to Neo4j Desktop 1.3.4 worked yesterday, but when I tried to open the application today it's not working. When I click on the shortcut my cursor shows a loading spinner for just a moment but then nothing appears to happen. Although when I open task manager I can see Neo4j Desktop running in the background.