Neo4j Community Edition on Kubernetes

Is it possible to deploy the free version of Neo4j on my IBM cloud Kubernetes cluster? Or can this only be done when using the enterprise edition?

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

Sure you can do this. However you cannot run a cluster of neo4j instances since this is a enterprise only feature.

1 Like

There are a lot of options of getting a free Neo4j Enterprise license, see: Neo4j Licensing | Open Source Graph Databases & License Overview

2 Likes

Yep, you can do this. Stefan & Michael are also both correct.

If you want a jumpstart on how to do this, check out the public helm chart here:

That chart is for multi-node clusters, not single node community. So to get what you'd want, you would:

• Remove the read replica statefulset
  • Adjust the image on the core set to use the community image
  • Keep in mind that there's no point in scaling the stateful set, you should never have more than 1. If you scale up a statefulset of community pods, you end up with multiple independent databases, not a bigger single database.
1 Like

How do I then connect to my single node?
I have read something about using port forwarding, but when I run the following command

kubectl port-forward neo4j-core-0 8474:7474 8687:7687

I get an error message: error forwarding ... Connection refused

Looks like your port numbers there are incorrect

Oh oke, how can I get the correct port numbers then?

Normally you would forward port 7474:7474 and port 7687:7687.

But please do indicate how you are trying to connect, what the error is, and what logs you see from kubectl forward, this gives us a better chance to see what's happening beyond connection refused.

Hi David, is it same as setting "standalone: true" for community edition?