Neo4J browser graph render very slow

@michael.hunger, I am a rookie in neo4j, I just put up a server and this was the 1st time I was testing the environment and using Movies dataset.

When I first used chrome it was fine, then I had the problems, but now it's a bit faster. I cleared my cache and cookies and I think it helped a bit. Edge is still faster, but it might be because I typically have numerous chrome tabs up.

@bischrob, just tested now with Edge and it is much, much, much faster. Almost normal. So, for now on I am not going to use Chrome to connect to Neo4j Browser.

@renatospaka Well at least it works. Now the question is why is there so much of a difference? Anyone have any ideas?

@bischrob, it seems that I will have to regularly clean up the cache.

After two hours accessing via Edge Chromium browser, it began to lower the performance down again. I don't know if it is a reflection of some misconfiguration at server level or just a browser issue.

Anyway, I can work and every now and then, the cache has to be cleaned up. This is an effective workaround.

@renatospaka I'll have to see if mine slows down as well. I mostly access my database via an API, so I may not have noticed the cache issue yet for Edge.

Having to frequently clear the cache is not an effective workaround. This is ridiculous. We should not have to do that to use a piece of software.

Have you tried to disable the "connect result nodes" bit in your browser config?

Usually rendering a few hundred nodes in browser is no big deal.

What I usally do, is to keep the result frames that are there at the same time to a lower number, like 5 or so.

The other thing that could help if you record a performance measurement in the JS console and share it with the browser team, so perhaps that could indicate a root cause?

Thank you, Michael. I have unchecked the "Connect Result Nodes", and I usually never keep more than four or five previous frames active. I close them as quickly as I am no longer actively working with them. I highly recommend that Neo4j make graph display performance in Neo4j browser a priority development focus. I believe performance here affects many people. It makes Neo4j appear to perform poorly even when the issues are not really related to Neo4j itself. I believe there are probably opportunities for improvement here.

I too have this slow rendering issue. My model is just 16 nodes and 34 relationships, but it takes 30+ seconds to display. And once it's dispayed, dragging anything around the screen is too slow to be usable. I'm using Chrome v114.0.5735.110 on Windows 11, 32GB RAM.

MATCH (n) RETURN n is very slow, as above
MATCH (n) RETURN n{.*} responds immediately, so I conclude the issue is around the display of the results, rather than the retrieval of the data

But here's a curious thing. If I use an incognito window in Chrome, everything works as you want and expect. So what's the difference between an incognito window and a normal one that could explain this?

I have the same issue, thank you for pointing out the incognito work around. I am on Neo4j Browser version: 5.15.0 and Neo4j Server version: 5.18.1 (community).