How do I configure OGM with an embedded database that I can connect to remotely?

In older versions of Spring-Data-Neo4j it was possible to configure an embedded database, but enable remote access to it via the Neo4j-shell. This was done by using a GraphDatabaseFactory to construct a preconfigured GraphDatabaseService:

GraphDatabaseService newEmbeddedGraphDatabase(String dbDir) {
    db = factory.newEmbeddedDatabaseBuilder(dbDir)
        .setConfig(ShellSettings.remote_shell_enabled, "true")
        .setConfig(ShellSettings.remote_shell_port, "5555")
        .newGraphDatabase()
    db
}

and then wire that as a dependency when initialising the spring beans:

beans {
    graphDatabaseFactory(GraphDatabaseFactory)
    trueDbGraphDatabaseFactory(OurGraphDatabaseFactory, graphDatabaseFactory)
    graphDatabaseService(GraphDatabaseService, db) { bean ->
        bean.factoryBean = "ourGraphDatabaseFactory"
        bean.factoryMethod = "newEmbeddedGraphDatabase"
        bean.destroyMethod = "shutdown"
    }
}

I'm trying to work out how to achieve this in the new OGM project. Is it possible?

If I configure OGM using:

SessionFactory newSessionFactory() {
    GraphDatabaseSettings
    def configuration = new Configuration()
    configuration.driverConfiguration()
            .setDriverClassName("org.neo4j.ogm.drivers.embedded.driver.EmbeddedDriver")
            .setURI("file:///var/tmp/neo4j.db")
    new SessionFactory(configuration, "test.my.domain.path")
}

How do I inject my own instance of a GraphDatabaseService into the EmbeddedDriver? (There is a constructor to EmdeddedDriver that takes one, but it's not clear which constructor OGM is using).

You can configure a bolt connector for your embedded database if you have the dependencies setup.
Basically the same connector settings as in neo4j.conf

You are on the right track. You can instantiate and pre-configure a GraphDatabaseService and handle it over to the embedded driver.

GraphDatabaseService graphDatabaseService = new GraphDatabaseFactory()
	.newEmbeddedDatabase(...)
	// do your configuration	
	.newGraphDatabase();

EmbeddedDriver driver = new EmbeddedDriver(graphDatabaseService);
SessionFactory sessionFactory = new SessionFactory(driver, "package");

@gerrit.meier It doesn't look like the SessionFactory() in OGM version 2.1.6 has a constructer that takes a database. :(. Maybe that was added in a later version. (I'm still on Neo4j 2.3.x so I can't move to the latest OGM yet).

@michael.hunger Neo4j 2.3.x doesn't support bolt yet; but maybe I can use do the same thing with the web connector perhaps?

Yes, sorry, this is only available in Neo4j-OGM 3.0+ and I have no solution for you in this case that I would recommend.