GDS Library: 'gds.graph.project()' doesn't work on Mac

Hi everybody,
I'm working on a Mac (MacOS Sonoma 14.0) with installed Neo4j version: 5.12.0 and GDS Library version: 2.5.0.
I'm trying to learn something about path algorithms by following the instructions of the neo4j GDS Library Manual. In particular I want to recreate the example with Location and ROAD of Dijkstra Source-Target Shortest Path as it is in the documentation (Dijkstra Source-Target Shortest Path - Neo4j Graph Data Science). The problem arises each time I type the statement for the in-memory projection of the graph:

CALL gds.graph.project(
'myGraph',
'Location',
'ROAD',
{
relationshipProperties: 'cost'
}
)

At this point the pc starts loading, I visualize the white screen with the circular progress indicator that never stops, and then the pc overheats until I'm forced to restart it. This happens both if I'm typing on neo4j Browser and on terminal. The result is that I cannot obtain the projection of the graph and therefore apply the algorithms.
Has anyone faced the same issue?

Hello @glocrexxx ,
If you are on latest Neo4j Desktop and running MacOS on an intel CPU, it is required to add the following configuration entry to the configuration:

server.jvm.additional=-Djol.skipHotspotSAAttach=true

This is a workaround for a bug in the Java runtime that is used by Neo4j Desktop.

(added yesterday to Neo4j Desktop - Neo4j Graph Data Science)

1 Like

Thank you so much @florentin_dorre , this definitively solved my problem!

1 Like