CREATE INDEX ON :Label(prop) is really slow after neo4j-admin import

I had this issue happen to me where after importing a database of only 10 million nodes, I couldn't create indexes! It would just get hung up and continue to load.

Well, I found a solution, and I hope it helps others!

All I had to do was restart Neo4j after it hung up, and when I went back into the cypher-shell after the restart, the index was created instantly.

I'd love to know WHY this worked! But for now, I'm happy I was able to figure this out, and I hope it helps others. I searched for quite some time for a solution.

Sean

Glad you figured it out. I'm still not sure exactly what you did when it failed.

do neo4j-admin import
let it finish
start up the database
create index

should work fine.

Unfortunately, this did not seem to help for my situation.

I load using neo4j-admin import, let it finish (after 4 days), and start the database (9.4TB in size, 1.7B nodes).

The index creation for a single property on a node label stalls at 14% and does not pick up where it left off, upon restarting.

Rather, it seems to start over each time.

What are your server specs and which version? Try to use the latest there have been a lot of improvements

Also make sure to have enough page cache an heap configured. For that graph size I’d say 256 to 512g page cache and 31g heap

Also you might consider sharding with fabric

Hi @michael.hunger ,
My issue is on creating index on relationship property. The process is very slow.

Considering:-
- Database size is 1.2t
Server configs:-
- Heap - 230g
- Page cache - 1.182t

Neo4j Version:-
Neo4j Browser version: 4.0.3
Neo4j Server version: [3.5.15]

It has taken 3hrs to just get to 12% (index populating)

• CALL db.index.fulltext.createRelationshipIndex("idDateRelationship",["CALLS"],["CALL_DATE"], { analyzer: "url_or_email", eventually_consistent: "true" })

Why is this and is it possible to fast track?