UNION vs MATCH/WITH/COLLECT/UNWIND performance

How is the performance of UNION queries versus the MATCH/WITH/COLLECT/UNWIND strategy?
The latter allows for post-union processing for sorting and processing, but I fear a performance hit in looping through the result sets.
I wonder if it is better to have multiple queries instead of an aggregate if the cypher query does not perform well. Any tips or hints?

Thanks in advance for the insights.

I think we'd need to take a look at the query in particular to give any kind of accurate advice.

Thanks for the response @andrew_bowman.

Here's something more specific:

MATCH (me:Person {id:"myID"})-[:EMPLOYEE_OF]->(c:Company)<-[rel:EMPLOYEE_OF]-(them:Person) return them, rel, c
UNION
MATCH (them:Person {id:"myID"})-[rel:EMPLOYEE_OF]->(c:Company) return them, rel, c

versus

MATCH (them:Person {id:"myID"})-[rel:EMPLOYEE_OF]->(c:Company)
WITH collect({them:them, rel:rel, c:c}) as MyRow
MATCH (me:Person {id:"myID"})-[:EMPLOYEE_OF]->(c:Company)<-[rel:EMPLOYEE_OF]-(them:Person) return them, rel, c
WITH MyRow + collect({them:them, rel:rel, c:c}) as AllRows
UNWIND AllRows as rows
WITH rows.them as them, rows.rel as rel, rows.c as c
RETURN them, rel, c

In this case wouldn't it be enough to use the initial id, get the connected company, then match out to all of the employees (which will include the person with "myId")?

MATCH (:Person {id:"myID"})-[:EMPLOYEE_OF]->(c:Company)
MATCH (c)<-[rel:EMPLOYEE_OF]-(them:Person) 
RETURN them, rel, c

@andrew_bowman - That's brilliant! Thank you!

How would I extend this if I wanted to include a company's parent company's employees?

ie.

MATCH (:Person {id:"myID"})-[:EMPLOYEE_OF]->(:Company)
<-[:SUBSIDIARY_OF]-(c:Company)
<-[rel:EMPLOYEE_OF]-(them:Person)
RETURN them, rel, c

Previously I "union-ed" this match with the ones above, but it seems like there may be smarter ways to handle this in cypher.

Thanks!

Ah, for this one you can use a <-[:SUBSIDIARY_OF*0..1]-(c:Company) to capture both in the pattern. That is, c will include both the connected companies as well as the origin company, so we'll end up getting employees of both.

MATCH (:Person {id:"myID"})-[:EMPLOYEE_OF]->(c1:Company)
MATCH (c1)<-[:SUBSIDIARY_OF*0..1]-(c:Company)<-[rel:EMPLOYEE_OF]-(them:Person) 
RETURN them, rel, c

@andrew_bowman - Thank you for the help, this is beautiful. Appreciate your timely responses!

signed,

• cypher n00b

Glad to help! I'll probably create a knowledge base article from this, may I use some of these as examples?

@andrew_bowman - Of course, glad those were good examples to follow.