Search with NOT operator with pattern as well as constraints on properties

Hello,
In chapter "3.7.5.2. Filter on patterns using NOT" it is said, that using the not operator only "patterns" can be excluded from the match. I would like to also put constraints on the properties of the nodes to be excluded. So something like
MATCH (A)-[ * ]->(B:myType)
WHERE B.value = 'x' AND NOT ((A)-[ * ]->(C:myType) WHERE C.value = 'y')
RETURN A, B
So the nodes C of type myType do exists, but I would like to exclude those with a specific property.

MY first idea was to use this:
MATCH (A)-[ * ]->(B:myType), (A)-[ * ]->(C:myType)
WHERE B.value = 'x' AND NOT (C.value = 'y')
RETURN A, B
But this would merely match the same node for B and C (or possibly another one that has a value different than 'y') but it would not check on the definite non-existence of a possibly existing node C that has 'y' as value.
Greetings
Georg

Hi Georg,

here NOT is not enough to exclude relations between A and C, you need to use EXISTS as well.
If you want to exclude all those relation between A and B where A also have relation with C with a property (value='y'). You can try this.

MATCH (A)-->(B:myType)
WHERE B.value = 'x' AND NOT EXISTS ((A)-->(:myType{value:'y'}) )
RETURN A, B

I hope this helps :)

best
surya

2 Likes

That solution looks nice. How would the solution look like if the constraint on the non existing node involves the calls of operators or functions ? Is it allowed to use the property-specifying-syntax including operators, e.g.

WHERE B.value = 'x' AND NOT EXISTS ((A)-->(:myType{sqrt(value * value + 1) > 5}) )
RETURN A, B

If you will try your query you will see that it will give an error. You cannot check for property like this
sqrt(value * value + 1) > 5

this can be checked in the where statement but not with the key:value way inside a node definition.

I can see that you are trying to limit your relationship between node A, B, where node B should have a label :myType and a property value=x but not a property sqrt(value * value + 1) > 5

if the nodes B and C have the same label, then you do not need to check another relation
EXISTS ((A)-->(:myType{value:'y'}) )

rather you can just check the property in the where statement. you can just implement it like this

WHERE B.value = 'x' AND sqrt(B.value * B.value + 1) <= 5
RETURN A, B

Yes, I presumed, that I would have to filter it with a WHERE, but how can I include the constraint, which I have to put in the where in the restricted scope inside the NOT EXISTS ? When I put it in the property constraints inside the curly brackets, it would look like this:

WHERE B.value = 'x' AND NOT EXISTS ((A)-->(C:myType{ WHERE sqrt(C.value * C.value + 1) <= 5}))
RETURN A, B

Or is it allowed to put inside the NOT EXISTS sub-statement complete queries, like this:?

WHERE B.value = 'x' AND NOT EXISTS (MATCH (A)-->(C:myType) WHERE sqrt(C.value * C.value + 1) <= 5) RETURN C)
RETURN A, B