Retrieve Top n nodes/rows by adding property values of a relationship between two nodes

Hi ,
Here's my schema ,
(:Author)-[:WROTE{authorshipWeight}]- >(p:Paper)-[:IS_ABOUT]- >(FieldOfStudy)
I need to retrieve top 25 prominent authors corresponding to each fieldofstudy.Here "Prominent" means I want to add the values of property(authorshipWeight) of the relation :WROTE for each field of study and give me the authors with highest score().
Let's say there are 100 papers in a field of study give me the authors who made more contribution for those papers(sum of authorshipWeight).I have tried the below queru but I don't think so this gives me expected output.
MATCH (a:Author)-[rel:WROTE]- >(p:Papers)-[:IS_ABOUT]- >(fos:FieldOfStudy)
WHERE rel.authorshipWeight is not null RETURN a,fos,p,SUM(toInt(rel.authorshipWeight)) ORDER BY SUM(toInt(rel.authorshipWeight)) desc LIMIT 500

You don't need papers in the result:

WHERE rel.authorshipWeight is not null 
WITH fos, a, SUM(toInt(rel.authorshipWeight)) AS weight ORDER BY weight DESC LIMIT 500
RETURN *
1 Like

Thank you so much Syed , this works.
Now , Can I add a DISTINCT clause for field of study so that I get only top author for each field of study

You're welcome.
There are multiple ways to do this. Here's an example

WITH fos, a, SUM(toInt(rel.authorshipWeight)) AS weight ORDER BY weight DESC 
WITH fos, COLLECT([a, weight]) AS allAuthors
RETURN fos, head(allAuthors)[0] AS topAuthor, head(allAuthors)[1] AS weight

Note there is an aggregation function in APOC procedures that can help for cases like this:

WITH fos, a, SUM(toInteger(rel.authorshipWeight)) AS weight
WITH fos, apoc.agg.maxItems(a, weight) as max
RETURN fos, max.items[0] AS topAuthor, max.value AS weight

Note that max.items will give you a list of authors with the same max value, so if you have a tie, you will have a list of the tying authors.

You can use CALL apoc.help('maxItems') from the browser to see documentation on the function.