Optimizing Neo4j Query for Path search

• Neo4j version: 3.5.16

• What kind of API / driver do you use: Python API with py2neo to run the query with graph.run()

• Py2neo version: 4.3.0.

####################################

Hey all,

I'm trying to optimize a cypher query to retrieve a variable length path.

The graph is created each time data arrives and startNode and endNode are fixed on their name property. Once created the graph, I have a startNode and an endNode and the corolllary/objective is:

"From all the possible paths with a minimum length of X and a maximum length of Y, I want to find the shortest path that yields the highest aggregated relationship value".

What I actually have managed to do is: "get the path of length between X and Y that yields the highest aggregated relationship value" with the following cyper query:

MATCH path = (startN:Batch { name: $startNode })-[:CHANGES_TO*4..7]->(endN:Batch { name: $endNode })
RETURN path,
REDUCE (s = 1, r IN RELATIONSHIPS(path) | s * r.rateValue) AS finalBatchValue
ORDER BY finalBatchValue DESC 
LIMIT 1

Howerver, it takes some time to run. ┬┐Could someone provide ideas on how to optimize this, both to accomplish the objetive of the shortestPath and to optimize the query for running faster if possible?

I tried to make it work with APOC methods like allShortestPaths or Dijkstra with no success; it ended up returning the shortest path and I wasn't able to fix the minimum amount of nodes to consider.

Any help is much appreciated.