Middleware authentication

Hi everyone

Following the solution proposed on this topic I had to move my JWT authentication system from the neo4j's auth plugin to a middleware

As I expected, using GraphQL-Shield requires authentication to be done in middleware rather than in auth plugin.
Moreover, one of the next things to do is to replace JWTs by server-stored session tokens that I will have to perform in middleware for the same reason.

So as the authentication is already performed in middleware, I saw no reason to keep the auth plugin, which would just perform the authentication a second time without need.

I commented the auth object plugin within new Neo4jGraphQL

const neo4jgraphql = new Neo4jGraphQL (
{
    typeDefs, 
    resolvers,
    driver: neo4jdriver,
    plugins: 
    {
        // TODO : replace default subscription plugin by custom redis plugin
        subscriptions: new Neo4jGraphQLSubscriptionsSingleInstancePlugin(),
        // auth: new Neo4jGraphQLAuthJWTPlugin(
        // {
        //     secret: process.env.JWT_SESSION_KEY,
        //     globalAuthentication: false,
        // }),
    },
})

and in my middleware I set context.auth like this

try
    {
        const decode = jwt.verify(token, process.env.JWT_SESSION_KEY)
        context.auth = 
        {
            isAuthenticated: true,
            roles: [],
            jwt: decode,
        }
        console.log ("isAuthenticated / auth.jwt : " + JSON.stringify (context.auth, null, 4))
        return true
    }
    catch (err)
    {
        console.log (err)
        return new GraphQLError ("Unauthenticated", { extensions: { code: 'INVALID_TOKEN' } })
    } 

hoping to retrive it in my mutations and subscriptions.

The problem is that in my mutation i retrieve context.auth equals to

{
    "isAuthenticated": false,
    "roles": []
}

So I see two options :

• either there's an error in my code (like writing to a constant , or setting/accessing the content of an undefined object) but i see no error at all in my console, (and by the way context is not supposed to be either constant or undefined anyway)
  • or neo4j's graphql driver sets context.auth no matter what it already contains.

So assuming this is the second option, is there any way to prevent context.auth being modified ?