Importing Neo4j.dump file exported from community edition in Neo4j Desktop

I am trying to import Neo4j.dump file exported from community edition in Neo4j Desktop Edition . File get imported successfully, however, I am not able to access the database. It is showing This Database is currently offline error

1 Like

Hello @abhijitsky and welcome to the Neo4j community :slight_smile:

Can you send a screenshot of the error?

Best regards,
Cobra

Try this:
Expecting you are using v5.x:

open the Terminal and run this:
bin/neo4j-admin database copy xxxx yyyy --force (xxxx: db name that is offline,  yyyy:  new db name 

If all is successful then start DB and select System database and run create database yyyy command.

Hi,

Following your instructions on a database terminal on neo4j 5.6 (Desktop version on Windows), I'm getting the following error:

C:\Users\tnandi\.Neo4jDesktop\relate-data\dbmss\dbms-a2a25cf9-dd13-4ebb-bb43-8f0733e
9cae2>.\bin\neo4j-admin load --from=data\dumps\graph.dump --database=graph-b --force

Unmatched arguments from index 0: 'load', '--from=data\dumps\graph.dump', '--databas
e=graph-b', '--force'
Did you mean: database load or database upload or dbms set-default-admin?

I only changed the direction of the slashes for the Windows path and have placed the dump file in the data/dump directory. Can you please suggest a solution?

5.9 the correct syntax is: \bin\neo4j-admin database load

Thank you very much for pointing that out! I could get past that step using the updated arguments for neo4j-admin, and the terminal shows that the dump file has been processed:

C:\Users\tnandi\.Neo4jDesktop\relate-data\dbmss\dbms-2243bf3a-1f52-4578-abc7-a87610b
27b39>.\bin\neo4j-admin database load --from-path=data\dumps spoke
Done: 275 files, 40.24GiB processed.

Yet, I only see an empty graph being created:

Note that I created the database with name "spoke" in the command line above, but I don't see any database with that name in the project. I also tried the same by naming the DBMS "spoke" when creating it (Add--> Local DBMS) but still had the same issue.

Can you please suggest what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Tarak

Go to data/database folder and you should see your new database name in that folder. If you see that, then log in and select 'system' database from the drop down list. Once it shows the bowser then run SHOW DATABASES' . Your database name will not be shown. Run this: CREATE DATABASE xxxx where xxxx is the name of db you created. If successful, then run SHOW DATABASES
and this time you should your db name in the result pane. Check to see the status column and if it shows 'active' then you are all set!!
Go back and select your db name from the dropdown list, When it opens up run MATCH (n) return n. Check the graph.

Wow!! Thank you so very much for the detailed explanation! It finally worked. I wonder why the neo4j documentation ( Restore a database dump - Operations Manual (neo4j.com) doesn't list these steps.