How can I run python program connected to neo4j desktop (local database) through google colaboratory

How can I run python program connected to neo4j desktop (local database) through google colaboratory -

Hello! Unfortunately, a cloud environment would not be able to find a local database (because of the localhost address). However, you can spin up a Neo4j Sandbox instance (cloud-hosted) and connect your Python program in Google Colaboratory to that. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jennifer

2 Likes

Another option might be to try the ngrok tool. ngrok allows you to create a public url that is proxied to localhost on your local machine.

So if you proxy localhost port 7687 with ngrok you should then have a public url for your local Neo4j instance that you can use to connect with the Python driver in the hosted Colab notebook.

ngrok tcp 7687
1 Like

Hi there, I ran into this same problem and tried using ngrok as you suggest, unfortunately it seems the tcp URI scheme is not supported as I got the following error:

Failed to create the driver: URI scheme 'tcp' is not supported. Supported URI schemes are ['bolt', 'bolt+ssc', 'bolt+s', 'neo4j', 'neo4j+ssc', 'neo4j+s']. Examples: bolt://host[:port] or neo4j://host[:port][?routing_context]

I'm looking into other options now but if you have any suggestions for how to tunnel to the accepted URIs, I'm all ears!

Thanks for your valuable reply where it saves my lot of time.