Docker compose configuration for neosemantics errors out

I'm trying to get neosemantics working in a docker container. Has anyone been able to successfully get this running?

I get the following error:

2020-03-31 14:35:55.241+0000 ERROR Failed to start Neo4j: Starting Neo4j failed: Component 'org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer$ServerComponentsLifecycleAdapter@7e14627b' was successfully initialized, but failed to start. Please see the attached cause exception "The ResourceConfig instance does not contain any root resource classes."

Here is my docker-compose.yml file:

version: '3'

services:
  neo4j:
    container_name: neo4j
    image: neo4j:3.5.16
    restart: always
    ports:
      - 7474:7474
      - 7687:7687
    environment:
      - NEO4J_AUTH=neo4j/mypassword
      - NEO4J_HOME=/var/lib/neo4j
      - NEO4J_dbms_unmanaged__extension__classes=semantics_extension=/rdf
      - NEO4J_dbms_security_procedures_whitelist=apoc.*, semantics.*
      - NEO4J_dbms_security_procedures_unrestricted=apoc.*, semantics.*
      - NEO4J_apoc_export_file_enabled=true
      - NEO4J_apoc_import_file_enabled=true
      - NEO4J_apoc_import_file_use__neo4j__config=true
    volumes:
      - ~/Data/neo4j/data:/var/lib/neo4j/data
      - ~/Data/neo4j/import:/var/lib/neo4j/import
      - ~/Data/neo4j/conf:/var/lib/neo4j/conf
      - ~/Data/neo4j/logs:/var/lib/neo4j/logs
      - ~/Data/neo4j/plugins:/var/lib/neo4j/plugins
      - ~/Data/neo4j/rdf:/var/lib/neo4j/rdf

Update: I changed - NEO4J_dbms_unmanaged__extension__classes=semantics_extension=/rdf to - NEO4J_dbms_unmanaged__extension__classes=semantics.extension=/rdf
Now it no longer errors out, but when I try to use the semantics.importRDF() procedure I get the following error: There is no procedure with the name `semantics.importRDF` registered for this database instance. Please ensure you've spelled the procedure name correctly and that the procedure is properly deployed.

It may not be the only issue you face, but your procedures whitelist and unrestricted settings are incorrect. See the APOC documentation for how to configure this with docker, and use a similar pattern for neosemantics.

https://neo4j.com/docs/labs/apoc/current/introduction/#_using_apoc_with_the_neo4j_docker_image

The example uses
-e NEO4J_dbms_security_procedures_unrestricted=apoc.\\\*
added to the docker run command. I'm not using the docker run command, I'm using docker-compose adding

- NEO4J_dbms_security_procedures_unrestricted=apoc.*, semantics.*

as an environment variable. As I understand docker compose, you don't need to escape the wildcard (apoc.\\\*) like you would in a docker run command. At any rate, I've tried it both ways and neo4j can't find the plugin when I try to use it. Anything else you might see?

Here is the working solution for me:

version: '3'

services:
  neo4j:
    container_name: neo4j
    image: neo4j:3.5.16
    restart: always
    ports:
      - 7474:7474
      - 7687:7687
    environment:
      - NEO4J_AUTH=neo4j/superSecretPassword
      - NEO4J_HOME=/var/lib/neo4j
      - NEO4J_dbms_unmanaged__extension__classes=semantics.extension=/rdf
      - NEO4J_dbms_security_procedures_whitelist=apoc.coll.*,apoc.load.*,semantics.*
      - NEO4J_dbms_security_procedures_unrestricted=apoc.*,semantics.*
      - NEO4J_apoc_export_file_enabled=true
      - NEO4J_apoc_import_file_enabled=true
      - NEO4J_apoc_import_file_use__neo4j__config=true
    volumes:
      - ~/Data/neo4j/data:/var/lib/neo4j/data
      - ~/Data/neo4j/import:/var/lib/neo4j/import
      - ~/Data/neo4j/conf:/var/lib/neo4j/conf
      - ~/Data/neo4j/logs:/var/lib/neo4j/logs
      - ~/Data/neo4j/plugins:/var/lib/neo4j/plugins
      - ~/Data/neo4j/rdf:/var/lib/neo4j/rdf

It turns out, unbeknownst to me until now that neo4j desktop creates it's own instance(s) of the neo4j database. You can't (as far as I can tell) connect neo4j desktop to a running instance of neo4j in a docker container on your host machine. On a mac database instances are stored at /Users/chrisc/Library/Application Support/Neo4j Desktop/Application/neo4jDatabases. When I deleted the databases created by Neo4j Desktop and used a standard web browser to connect to the docker instance, it worked correctly.

2 Likes