CSV import problem

Hello,

I'm building an application in a k8s environment to import large amounts of data into Neo4j (4.4) which is outside the k8s cluster. I've tried with 'neo4j-admin import' which worked fine but we do not consider it to use on a high security production platform since this tool does not support http(s) (as far as i know). This means we have to copy csv files from a pod to the machine where the Neo4j instance is running, and then call 'neo4j-admin'.

I tried to do the same with 'apoc.import.csv' because it supports http(s) and it supports (like 'neo4j-admin') ID-spaces which is absolutely necessary to use. However, when I tried to use it, the Neo4j driver throws an OutOfMemory error (see stacktrace below) even when I crank up the heap space memory to 16 Gb. Running the same 'apoc.load.csv' in the cypher-shell on the docker container gives me the same OOM error

I've also tried to use 'apoc.import.csv' for each individual csv file. This works fine when importing nodes, but not when importing only relationships.

There is one other disadvantage for using apoc.import.csv, which is that there is no setting 'ignoreBadRelations' which IS present for the 'neo4j-admin'. This means i have to clean the data before sending it to Neo4j, which is a huge performance hit.

As far as I know, things like 'LOAD CSV' , apoc.load.csv do not support id-spaces. Is there anyone who can give me some suggestions on how to proceed?

OOM stacktrace:

org.neo4j.driver.exceptions.ClientException: Failed to invoke procedure `apoc.import.csv`: Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Suppressed: org.neo4j.driver.internal.util.ErrorUtil$InternalExceptionCause
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.util.ErrorUtil.newNeo4jError(ErrorUtil.java:76)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.async.inbound.InboundMessageDispatcher.handleFailureMessage(InboundMessageDispatcher.java:107)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.messaging.common.CommonMessageReader.unpackFailureMessage(CommonMessageReader.java:75)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.messaging.common.CommonMessageReader.read(CommonMessageReader.java:53)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.async.inbound.InboundMessageHandler.channelRead0(InboundMessageHandler.java:81)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.async.inbound.InboundMessageHandler.channelRead0(InboundMessageHandler.java:37)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:99)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:379)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:365)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:357)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.fireChannelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:327)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:299)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.async.inbound.MessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageDecoder.java:42)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:379)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:365)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:357)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.fireChannelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:327)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:299)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1410)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:919)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:166)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:722)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:658)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:584)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:496)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$4.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:997)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.util.internal.ThreadExecutorMap$2.run(ThreadExecutorMap.java:74)
at org.neo4j.driver.internal.shaded.io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocalRunnable.run(FastThreadLocalRunnable.java:30)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)

Hi,

I am not sure Neo4j has something that will meet those expectations except maybe create a client with Python (it is really fast to create). In that way you can send all the data you need and generate validations within the same script.

Also, if you already have a neo4j-admin script that you know it works, you may use rsync to copy the files and update them as they change from one server to another. rsync uses ssh, so it is secure. and after the copy, you may execute the neo4j-admin. All of that may be done with a cron or systemd timer.

Hope it helps.