cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.4.6 dump is not a .backup artefact file (on Linux), as expected by the 5.2 migration/restore

Hi,

We are trying to migrate our database from 4.4.6 to 5.2 (Linux Enterprise edition) by following this procedure :
https://neo4j.com/docs/upgrade-migration-guide/current/version-5/migration/migrate-databases/

When backing up the 4.4.6 database, the process generates a directory. It's not a ".backup" artefact file...

When we launch the restore commande on 5.2, we have this error :
org.neo4j.cli.CommandFailedException: --from=path option should contain only backup artefact files (ending with '.backup')

Any idea?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

ameyasoft
Graph Maven

I had the same issue when I was testing the migration from 4.4 to 5.1. I backed up my db in linux and copied the backup file to Mac Desktop. Created a DB in version 5.1 and copied the backup file to data/dumps in 5.1. When I tried to run the restore command I got the same error as you got.
I tried this and it worked:

Step 1: Copied the backup file to data/databases folder in 5.1

Step 2: With 5.1 DB offline, I ran the copy command in the Terminal: bin/neo4j-admin database copy <backup file name> <new db in 5.1> --to-format=standard --force
It ran succefully and created a new db folder in data/databases folder.

Step 3: Started my 5.1 DB, selected 'system' db and ran the query CREATE DATABASE <new db name>
Step 4: Ran SHOW DATABASES query and it shows the newly created dn with status 'online'.

I haven't tried this in the production db in linux. We will soon be trying this with our production db.

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.