cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Eager operator appear after neo4j version upgrade

Ghawady
Node

I am getting the Eager operation in places that don't make sense. I have a set of queries that used to run without Eager operation with neo4j 4.2.7 but after upgrading to neo4j 4.4.8 Eager started appearing in the query profile. I initially thought it might be something with the data, but I also started a new empty instance of neo4j 4.4.8 and ran below and still got Eager operator in the profile. Why would the below query result in an Eager operation?

PROFILE UNWIND [1,2,3,4,5] as id MERGE (n:ROW {id: id}) SET n.val1=1, n.val2=2;

but below two statements don't, even though they are doing the same action?

PROFILE UNWIND [1,2,3,4,5] as id MERGE (n:ROW {id: id}) SET n.val1=1;

PROFILE UNWIND [1,2,3,4,5] as id MERGE (n:ROW {id: id}) SET n += {val1:1, val2:2};

It looks that setting one property after MERGE is fine but setting more than one will result in Eager. This behaviour was not there in older versions. Is this intentional or a bug?

3 REPLIES 3

I've notice the same thing.  I believe it started in 4.4.6 or 4.4.7.

Cobra
Ninja
Ninja

Hello @Ghawady 😊

After reading the documentation about eager plan operator, I think it's normal:

1. SET n.val1=1, n.val2=2; Here, you have two operations (one for each property) and you want them both set before continuing the query.
  2. SET n.val1=1; Here, you only have property to set so only one operation so no eager.
  3. SET n += {val1:1, val2:2}; Here, you set several properties but with one operation so no eager.

It's the only explanation I see.

Regards,
Cobra

Froums
Node

We found out the same issue with UNWIND but from version 4.2 to 4.4.

The behaviour has changed in 4.3.0

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.