cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run All Pairs Shortest Path on a subset of a graph projection

benstear
Node

I am using gds.alpha.allShortestPaths.stream() on a graph projection.

I want to run the algorithm on a subset of nodes that have a certain value for a property, but
the docs say that the allShortestPaths algorithm only accepts a graph projection as input. I don't think running the algorithm on the entire graph projection would be possible because it consists of ~15 million nodes.

I need something like this:

match (hgnc:Code {SAB:"HGNC"}) CALL algo.shortestPath.stream(hgnc) YIELD sourceNodeId, targetNodeId, distance WITH sourceNodeId, targetNodeId, distance WHERE gds.util.isFinite(distance) = true WITH source, target, distance WHERE source <> target RETURN source.name AS source, target.name AS target, distance

But with the All Pairs Shortest Path algorithm obviously.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cobra
Ninja
Ninja

Hello @benstear and welcome to the Neo4j community

You should have a look at Cypher projection but make sure the nodes you select have relationships or the algorithm won't work:

CALL gds.graph.create.cypher(
    'my-cypher-graph',
    'MATCH (n:Code {SAB:"HGNC"})) RETURN id(n) AS id',
    'MATCH (n)-->(m) RETURN id(n) AS source, id(m) AS target'
)

Otherwise, there is the version without graph projection using Cypher shortestPath Functions:

MATCH (n:Code {SAB:"HGNC"})
WITH collect(n) AS nodes
UNWIND nodes AS a
UNWIND nodes AS b
WITH a, b
WHERE a <> b
MATCH p = shortestPath((a)-[*]-(b))
RETURN p

Or

WITH collect(n) AS nodes
UNWIND nodes AS a
UNWIND nodes AS b
WITH a, b
WHERE a <> b
MATCH p = allShortestPaths((a)-[*]-(b))
RETURN p

Regards,
Cobra

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cobra
Ninja
Ninja

Hello @benstear and welcome to the Neo4j community

You should have a look at Cypher projection but make sure the nodes you select have relationships or the algorithm won't work:

CALL gds.graph.create.cypher(
    'my-cypher-graph',
    'MATCH (n:Code {SAB:"HGNC"})) RETURN id(n) AS id',
    'MATCH (n)-->(m) RETURN id(n) AS source, id(m) AS target'
)

Otherwise, there is the version without graph projection using Cypher shortestPath Functions:

WITH collect(n) AS nodes
UNWIND nodes AS a
UNWIND nodes AS b
WITH a, b
WHERE a <> b
MATCH p = shortestPath((a)-[*]-(b))
RETURN p

Or

WITH collect(n) AS nodes
UNWIND nodes AS a
UNWIND nodes AS b
WITH a, b
WHERE a <> b
MATCH p = allShortestPaths((a)-[*]-(b))
RETURN p

Regards,
Cobra

benstear
Node

Hi @Cobra,

Thanks so much for the response. I think what I was looking for is shortestPath() because I want only the single shortest path between each of my nodes.

However, I am worried that my query might still be too large. I have about 40,000 nodes I need to find the shortest paths between.

Do you know if shortestPath() will automatically exclude the inverse shortestPath searches?

For example if you find the shortest path between Node A and Node B then you don't need to find the shortest path between Node B and Node A again.

I think I my have to manually exclude the inverse relationships as Michael Hunger did in his post here: All shortest paths between a set of nodes

Thanks again.

Cobra
Ninja
Ninja

No problem

To be sure, I would recommend excluding them like Michael Hunger did in his query.

Regards,
Cobra

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

All the sessions of the conference are now available online