cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NotFoundException error for using Merge Nodes Apoc

jin_what
Node Link

Hi guys,

I was trying to merge some node groups into one node based on their label.
I looked at neo4j documentation (Merge Nodes - APOC Documentation) and tried to apply the query with my cases but it came up with this error.

1)

This is the graph I am working on and I set different colors to nodes based on thier labels.
What I am trying to do is to match the path which is consisted of nodes with same labels and merge them into one node for better visualization.

2)

MATCH (a:Stop)-[:HUWON]->(b:Stop)
WITH [a,b] as nodes
CALL apoc.refactor.mergeNodes(nodes,{properties:"combine", mergeRels:TRUE, produceSelfRel:FALSE})
YIELD node
RETURN count(*);

I wanted to merge nodes by matching specific paths(consisted of only ( :Stop) and [ :HUWON]) and enlist them but it show this certain errors.

I am not sure how this Apoc works but I can't just use
WITH Head(collect([a1,a2])) as nodes like an example from documentation because
then it will only merge the first path in the list due to head().

Can you help me with this? @dominic.teo

Thanks in advance!

Yejin

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Yejin,

Did you managed to solve the issue?

Cheers,
Dominic

giuseppe_villan
Graph Fellow

@jin_what

I think the problem is this one: https://github.com/neo4j-contrib/neo4j-apoc-procedures/issues/578#issuecomment-364105387

That is, is a Cypher behaviour that cannot be fixed with apoc itself.

So, a workaround is putting WITH * LIMIT 1 after the MATCH clause.
Of course, will be merged only 1 result at once.

Or even better, you could put the query into a apoc.periodic.repeat,
so that you can execute the query every second and, instead of a match between 2 nodes, execute a match between multiple nodes (a:Stop)-[:HUWON*]->(b:Stop) ad pick the longest path, to execute fewer executions. That is:

call apoc.periodic.repeat("merge", 'MATCH p=(a:Stop)-[:HUWON*]->(b:Stop) 
WITH p, length(p) AS length ORDER BY length DESC LIMIT 1 CALL apoc.refactor.mergeNodes(nodes(p),{properties:"combine", mergeRels:TRUE, produceSelfRel:FALSE})
YIELD node RETURN count(*)', 1)

Anyway, with big databases, the `ORDER BY length` could be heavy, so you could do only `MATCH p=(a:Stop)-[:HUWON*]->(b:Stop) WITH p LIMIT 1` after `CALL mergeNodes`.

Thanks, we solved the problem in other way but thank you for replying.
I will try your query later!

Cheers,

Hi Yejin, I happened to face the same issue, do you mind to share how you solved it? thankyou

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.