cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie looking for some advice for visualization

tkiely
Node

Hi,
I'm pretty new to graph data and Neo4j. I love the simplicity and easy-of-use of the Neo4j Browser for visualization, but I need a bit more control over layer.

For example, I need to visualize a graph of about 1,000 nodes and 4,000 relationships. In the Neo4j Browser, it is pretty tedious to drag nodes around until the visualization has some logical structure. And if I need to tweak my query, all that work is gone.. Also, even though I have plenty of CPU and RAM, the Neo4j Browser keeps crashing or freezing on me with a graph this size.

I've read the articles on the Neo4j site about visualization, but there's a confusing array of options and it looks like the tools that support more customized layout are libraries that require some code. This isn't a deal breaker, but I'd prefer a no-code solution for now.

My question:
Could anyone suggest a tool similar to Neo4j Browser that supports:

1. Customized layouts, e.g. group nodes of specified labels in "zones" of the browser window - something like a hierarchical tree or grid.
  2. Remember some version the layout that I created by dragging nodes all over the place so that I don't have to start from scratch with every new query.

Thanks for the help,
Tim

3 REPLIES 3

liebig
Node Clone

Hi Tim,
There is yWorks for Neo4j for instance (yFiles Neo4j Explorer: Advanced Node Styling). Less customizable in terms of layouting but very scalable in terms of nodes and relationships is SemSpect (Neo4j Graph App | SemSpect).

Hi Thorsten,
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't come across SemSpect. I'll give it a try.
-Tim

michal_habala
Node Clone

Hi Tim,

you can also try https://graphlytic.biz/ it's a full visualization app/platform. With no coding, you can achieve a lot of things including query management, visualization layouts, and formatting.
There is a free version for one user available in Neo4j Desktop, in Docker, or as a standalone app.
The paid Cloud version can be used when you don't want to install anything and want a fully managed service.

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.