cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping array of string arrays as a property in a node

I have a huge amount of text data in my db. Therefore when i need to calculate the bigrams and trigrams of those texts it happens to be very expensive as you can imagine. So I am looking for a way to import all the n-grams in the nodes, then group them on db to get the most frequent n-grams(like top 5). Here is an example:

for a sentence like the following;
"you have no idea how much i love neo4j graph database"

i want to import the n-grams with the query;

match (p)
where p.Id = 'da786ecb-7965-4ab6-84fd-3811da9b31a0'
set p.Ngrams = [['you', 'have'], ['you', 'have', 'no'], ['have', 'no'], ['have', 'no', 'idea'], ['no', 'idea'], ['no', 'idea', 'how'], ['idea', 'how'], ['idea', 'how', 'much'], ['how', 'much'], ['how', 'much', 'i'], ['much', 'i'], ['much', 'i', 'love'], ['i', 'love'], ['i', 'love', 'neo4j'], ['love', 'neo4j'], ['love', 'neo4j', 'graph'], ['neo4j', 'graph'], ['neo4j', 'graph', 'database'], ['graph', 'database']]

the query gives me the following error:

neo4j.exceptions.CypherTypeError: {code: Neo.ClientError.Statement.TypeError} {message: Property values can only be of primitive types or arrays thereof}

any idea how to solve a situation like this? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Cobra
Ninja
Ninja

Hello @taylangezici1

You can store a list of strings but you cannot store a list of list of strings. In your case, you should create a new type of node NGram and store one n-gram by node then link these new nodes to the node with the sentance.

Regards,
Cobra

Cobra's idea is probably the best one from a graph performance perspective.

However, it is possible to make a list-of-lists: use a Map

The main syntactic difference is that a map is wrapped in curly braces instead of brackets. Obviously, there are other performance implications, though.

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.