cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining results from two subqueries

Hi Everyone!

Given the following db schema:

I'm trying to fetch all parents, children and the respective properties of both parents and children in the following format:

parent | child | parent_property | child_property

I'm using the UNION clause to gather the the parents and children from different nodes under the same columns. The first CALL {} subquery is working as expected. However, when I add the second one to return the properties of children and parents, I obtain duplicated results. I assume the issue is in the way I try to combine the results of both subqueries.

Here is the Cypher script:

//Getting children and parents from different nodes in the same columns
CALL { 
    MATCH (c:subPART)<-[:Has_child]-(p:mainPART {id: "12345"}) RETURN c.id   AS child, p.id AS parent
    UNION
    MATCH (m:mainPART )<-[:Has_child]-(p:mainPART {id: "12345"}) RETURN m.id AS child, p.id AS parent

} 
//Trying to assign resprective property for parent 
MATCH (p)-[]->(r)-[:Has_property]->(property1) 
//Trying to assign resprective property for the children
CALL {
    MATCH (c)-[]->(k)-[:Has_property]->(property2) RETURN property2.name AS child_property
    UNION
    MATCH (m)-[]->(n)-[:Has_property]->(property3) RETURN property3.name AS child_property
}
RETURN parent, child, property1.name AS parent_property, child_property

I'm using neo4j Desktop version 4.3.3.

Any tips would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

giuseppe_villan
Graph Fellow

@iuliana-laurentia

I think your query doesn't work because (c) and (m) in the second CALL are not the c and m from the first query, because you return c.id AS child, p.id AS parent, you should return even c and m.

From your data model, is not clear where is Has_property relationships,
anyway maybe this query should work (without second call😞

CALL { 
    MATCH (c:subPART)<-[:Has_child]-(p:mainPART {id: "12345"}) RETURN c as child, p AS parent
    UNION
    MATCH (m:mainPART )<-[:Has_child]-(p:mainPART {id: "12345"}) RETURN m AS child, p AS parent
} 
MATCH (parent)-[]->(r)-[:Has_property]->(property1) 
MATCH (child)-[]->(k)-[:Has_property]->(property2)
return child.id as child, parent.id as parent, property2.name AS child_property, property1.name AS parent_property

In case it doesn't work, can you provide some queries to replicate your dataset?

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.