cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser and Shell Show Different Databases Via Remote Server

TK36
Node Link

I've been using Neo4j (4.4.4) for a while via a remote server (ubuntu 20.04 ) with no problems. I decided to reinstall Neo4j due to a problem I had, but this resulted in a series of bigger problems.

Firstly, I uninstalled Neo4j with (sudo apt-get purge neo4j), but the data was still available after installing a newer version of Neo4j (4.4.9). This made me realize that the previous command does not delete everything. I had a problem with neo4j.service status being FAILED. I decided to uninstall again and remove everything this time. I used the previous command followed by 

sudo rm -r /var/lib/neo4j/*

sudo rmdir /var/lib/neo4j/

Then I deleted the configuration file (neo4j.conf) at etc/neo4j

I installed neo4j (4.4.5) and it worked with no problems. However, the previous data was still there! When I tried to access cypher-shell I was asked to set a new password. Then I noticed that the browser database has version 4.4.9, while the one I access with the shell has version 4.4.5. When I try to access the most recent database (version 4.4.5) on the browser through bolt connection I get this error message (Neo.ClientError.Security.Unauthorized: The client is unauthorized due to authentication failure.)

How can I make the shell and browser databases consistent? Should I do a clean uninstallation? How? I am also baffled by the presence of the old data even though I deleted the neo4j directory in /var/lib/ which contains the data file!

2 REPLIES 2

Perhaps you have a 2nd installation somehow on that machine?

What do the log files in /var/log/neo4j say? 

Also make sure to not confuse neo4j browser version with the db version.

You can also check the processes running and see if there is another installation in a different folder

ps auxwww | grep neo4j

After writing my post, I decided to locate all files related to neo4j by using this as a refenence. I then uninstalled neo4j and used sudo apt autoremove. I reinstalled the 4.4.9 version and enabled the service. Now when I run ps auxwww | grep neo4j, I think I have multiple processes running. I'm not sure if it's safe to share the exact output, but I get something like this:

neo4j     #  0.0  0.2 # #; where # is some number. 

There is another one with different numbers.

Then there is:

ubuntu    #  0.0  0.0  #  #

root     #  2.5 22.1 # #

I guess this means I have multiple processes running. How can I stop them safely?Should I kill them all then reinstall neo4j again?

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.