Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aggregate Parallel Relationships after gds.alpha.collapsePaths

Minyall
Node Link

Main query
Is it possible to either...

• a) Aggregate parallel relationships on an existing GDS graph projection after it has been created.
  • b) Create a new graph projection using the content of an existing one?

Why?
I have a projected graph...

CALL gds.graph.create('test','USER',{
     REPRESENTS: {type: 'REPRESENTS',orientation: 'NATURAL'},
     FOLLOWS: {type: 'FOLLOWS', orientation: 'NATURAL'}}) 
YIELD graphName, nodeCount,relationshipCount

and I have mutated it using gds.alpha.collapsePath.mutate

CALL gds.alpha.collapsePath.mutate('test', {
    relationshipTypes:['FOLLOWS','REPRESENTS'],
    allowSelfLoops:false,
    mutateRelationshipType:'META_FOLLOWS'}) 
Yield relationshipsWritten

The point of it is to collapse down the current relationship to a simplified version.

(a: USER)-[:REPRESENTS]->(:USER)-[:FOLLOWS]->(:USER)<-[:REPRESENTS]-(b:USER)
(a:USER)-[:META_FOLLOWS]->(b:USER)

After my original test graph has been mutated, and had the META_FOLLOWS relationship added, I wanted to aggregate all parallel relationships so that I would have distinct relationships between nodes, each with a weight property that was equal to the count of parallel relationships. If collapsePath had written directly to the database I (think i) would do the following..

CALL gds.graph.create('final_graph', 'USER', {
    META_FOLLOWS: {
        properties:{
           weight:{property: '*', aggregation: 'COUNT'}
                 }
            }
        }
)

Is the only way ahead to manually stream out the META_FOLLOWS relationship from the first graph, save it to the DB and then run the second projection with the aggregation, or is there a way to do this all in one projection?

Any advice would be very helpful, thanks!

*NB for reasons I can't just export the projection to another database.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Right now, we don't have the option to have collapsePath output a relationship weight, or to re-aggregate relationships on an existing in memory graph, but those are both great feature requests!

For now, you can either write the new relationship back to the database & re-load or use gds.graph.export to dump the in-memory graph to a new database and load from that . Since it sounds like graph.export isn't an option, you'll want to use gds.graph.writeRelationship.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sam_gijare
Graph Buddy

May be you can take a export dump of a data model in neo4j browser and then import it into another preconfigured instance.( If you have bloom installed ?)

Right now, we don't have the option to have collapsePath output a relationship weight, or to re-aggregate relationships on an existing in memory graph, but those are both great feature requests!

For now, you can either write the new relationship back to the database & re-load or use gds.graph.export to dump the in-memory graph to a new database and load from that . Since it sounds like graph.export isn't an option, you'll want to use gds.graph.writeRelationship.

Thanks Alicia,

I did try gds.graph.writeRelationship which did work, though the output of collapsePath for my project is a few million new relationships so it is rather slow going - may still be faster to do that than my current more manual cyper query which collapses the paths and aggregates the relationships so I'll have a go.

Is there a formal way to do feature requests? I think being able to re-aggregate existing in memory graphs would be a great addition given the number of mutate features in GDS.

The best way to make a feature request is to open an issue our our github: Issues · neo4j/graph-data-science · GitHub

sam_gijare
Graph Buddy

I think a possible feature could be a mechanism to attach and detach a Property SubGraph to existing node.
Thanks
Sameer G

nebuchadnezzar
Node Link

Hi, Minyall

Did I understand correctly that you get parallel META_FOLLOWS relations between a pair of nodes? I asking because the "gds.alpha.collapsePaths" documentation says that only one connection is created between a pair of nodes.

Thanks in advance for your answer

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.