cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter '_connection') on IResultCursor.ConsumeAsync() calls

MPasadu
Node Link

I am playing around with the new async driver.

I am reading in a multitude of paths(together with their parent path) from a directory structure. And want to represent it in neo4j using nodes (:Directory {uncPath:$path}). And they should all be connected to each other via [:HAS_CHILD_DIRECTORY].

I am opening a single AsyncSession and then write the transactions in parallel using a Parallel.ForEach. So the order of the paths is random.
This is my cypher code:

"merge
                    (current:Directory {uncPath:$Path})
                merge
                    (parent:Directory {uncPath:$ParentPath})
                merge
                    (parent)-[:HAS_CHILD_DIRECTORY]->(current)"

I get exceptions on some of the IResultCursor.ConsumeAsync() calls with the following stacktrace:

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter '_connection')
at Neo4j.Driver.Internal.Throw.ArgumentNullException.If(Func`1 func, String paramName)
at Neo4j.Driver.Internal.Throw.ArgumentNullException.IfNull(Object parameter, String paramName)
at Neo4j.Driver.Internal.AsyncSession.OnResultConsumedAsync()
at Neo4j.Driver.Internal.Result.ResultCursorBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass28_0.<b__0>d.MoveNext()

Some nodes end up not having a HAS_CHILD_DIRECTORY relationship to their parent.

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @MPasadu

Can you put your calling code - i.e. the call that sends the cypher, and how you consume it?

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply:

cursor = await session.RunAsync(
                     @"merge
                            (current:Directory {uncPath:$Path})
                       merge
                            (parent:Directory {uncPath:$ParentPath})
                       merge
                            (parent)-[:HAS_CHILD_DIRECTORY]->(current),
                    new
                    {
                        Path = uncPath,
                        ParentPath = parentPath,
                    });
                await cursor.ConsumeAsync();

This is wrapped inside a Task.Run which is called inside a foreach loop for every path+parent path pair. Session is created once before the foreach loop.

Could you try getting the session withing the Task.Run i.e. just before your cursor?

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.