cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting using .NET Client

f_galluzzi
Node Link

Hello all,
I've just installed Neo4j Desktop and I am trying to connect using .NET Client, but I receive always the error 404.
I explain the situation with some additional info:

1. I am using a new user (admin) because I don't have the password for default neo4j user, after installation system never ask me to change it so the password is the default generated during installation but I didn't find any way to retrive it.
    I've tried also to change password but instructions found seems not updated, they request to use "neo4j stop" command but I realised that the current version of neo doesn't use it: if I stop the server still working correctly, if I send the start the system answer "No Java VM present...", so I suppose this not used anymore because my server is working correctly (I am running it on a Mac).
    Anyway to skip the user problem I've created a new user (admin, with admin rights, in order to use as a replacement for neo4j user), I am able to connect using browser to Neo4j using admin user, so it seem new user works as expected.

2. When I try to connect using .NET Client I get the Error 404 response (resource not found), I've used the commands below:

var graphClient = new GraphClient(new Uri("http://localhost:7474/db/data"), "admin", "admin");
graphClient.Connect();

The user access (suing admin user) is correctly managed because if I put a wrong password the response is authentication error.
I need to access to default database (name is neo4j), I suspect I have to modify something in the Uri but so far I didn't found a solution.

4 REPLIES 4

Hey,

I've answered on your Stack Overflow question, but for reference I'll put the answer here as well:

You are right, the GraphClient is not able to work with a 4.x database at the moment, you can use the BoltGraphClient - but you need to provide a driver instance to it to get it to work due to a change in the way Encryption works with 4.x .

//First create a 'Driver' instance.
var driver = GraphDatabase.Driver("bolt://localhost:7687", AuthTokens.Basic("neo4j", "neo"), Config.Builder.WithEncryptionLevel(EncryptionLevel.None).ToConfig());

//Pass that driver to the BoltGraphClient
var bgc = new BoltGraphClient(driver);

//Connect.
bgc.Connect();

Hope that helps!

All the best

Chris

ian_lawton
Node Link

Im trying to use the .NET Client a community edition of Neo4J 4.1. Passing the driver as shown in the solution got my bolt connection working which was great but Ive now hit a problem trying to create a node. Using the example:

var newUser = new User { Id = 456, Name = "Jim" };
graphClient.Cypher
    .Create("(user:User {newUser})")
    .WithParam("newUser", newUser)
    .ExecuteWithoutResults();

I get this error:

Neo4j.Driver.ClientException: The old parameter syntax {param} is no longer supported. Please use $param instead (line 1, column 26 (offset: 25))
"CREATE (user:Participant {newUser})"

I tried just adding in the $newUser but it then complains that the syntax is wrong.

Is there anyway around this problem? Thanks for any advice

Ian

Hey @ian.lawton

The problem is the syntax for parameters changed, to create a node the way you are, it should look like this:

var newUser = new User { Id = 456, Name = "Jim" };
graphClient.Cypher
    .Create("(user:User $newUser)")
    .WithParam("newUser", newUser)
    .ExecuteWithoutResults();

You can see more here.

All the best

Chris

Perfect! That's fixed it. Thanks a lot Chris

Ian

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.