cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues configuring embedded instance on the same machine as Neo4j-Desktop installation

JD202
Node Link

Hello.

I've been trying to configure an embedded instance of Neo4J-4.0.1 using Kotlin via Gradle. Below, I have attached my code:

package ai.glue.me.trace

import org.neo4j.configuration.GraphDatabaseSettings
import org.neo4j.configuration.connectors.BoltConnector
import org.neo4j.configuration.helpers.SocketAddress
import org.neo4j.dbms.DatabaseManagementSystemSettings
import org.neo4j.dbms.api.DatabaseManagementService
import org.neo4j.dbms.api.DatabaseManagementServiceBuilder
import java.io.File
import java.nio.file.Paths
import java.util.*

object DBUtil {
    private var runInit = false
    private val queue = PriorityQueue<String>()
    var dbService:DatabaseManagementService? = null

fun init(): DBUtil {
        if (runInit) return this

val dbService = DatabaseManagementServiceBuilder(File("db/Trace"))
                .setConfig(BoltConnector.enabled, true)
//                .setConfig(DatabaseManagementSystemSettings.auth_store_directory, Paths.get("db/Trace/auth/"))
//                .setConfig(GraphDatabaseSettings.data_directory, Paths.get("db/Trace/datadir/"))
                .setConfig(GraphDatabaseSettings.neo4j_home, Paths.get("/"))
                .setConfig(BoltConnector.listen_address, SocketAddress("localhost", 7687))
                .build()
        val graphDb = dbService.database("Trace")
        this.dbService = dbService

runInit = true
        return this //TODO change
        //TODO load database, prepare queue for intake, print progress to console
    }

/**
     * Flush all queued transactions to the database, without closing the connection
     * @return Boolean - If the flush was successful
     */
    fun flush():Boolean {
        return true
    }
}

The init() function is called from the main thread (not shown). The issue occurs when building the DatabaseManagementService instance with .build(), as the console returns this stack trace:

Error occurred while enabling Trace v1.0-SNAPSHOT (Is it up to date?)
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can not resolve setting dependencies. ['unsupported.dbms.directories.auth'->'dbms.directories.data'] depend on settings not present in config, or are in a circular dependency
        at org.neo4j.configuration.Config.evaluateSettingValues(Config.java:396) ~[?:?]
        at org.neo4j.configuration.Config.<init>(Config.java:357) ~[?:?]
        at org.neo4j.configuration.Config$Builder.build(Config.java:260) ~[?:?]
        at org.neo4j.dbms.api.DatabaseManagementServiceBuilder.build(DatabaseManagementServiceBuilder.java:78) ~[?:?]
        at ai.glue.me.trace.DBUtil.init(DBUtil.kt:28) ~[?:?]

I've searched the community as well as Google meticulously and haven't yet found anyone with this issue. From what I understand, it's an issue with the mentioned config settings not being set, although I have tried setting them. I've also tried copying the neo4j.conf file shipped with the Neo4J-desktop zip (which is also installed to the same system) and copying it to a resources directory, then pointing to that, with no success. I have also repeated the same steps but with a /data/ directory, which is stated as being the default directory for config files.

I don't understand what I'm missing. I've tried many combinations of settings, directories, etc. I can only assume that I'm missing some settings that are marked as dependencies, but the stack trace isn't very clear on what is missing, or that there is indeed, somehow, a cyclic dependency.

I appreciate any help that I can be offered.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JD202
Node Link

I have come to a solution!

I am no longer using Neo4J!

Thanks, OrientDB.

P.S., this does seem to be an issue presented by packing Neo4J into a fat jar. I was using Gradle's shadowJar plugin. By using the mergeServiceFiles() setting, I was able to rid my console of the given error message, only to receive a brand new error stating that scala/Serializable could not be found (despite being present in the fat jar...). I tried specifically shading it into the jar using Gradle, with no difference in results.

So... I believe I've tried everything I can. I really was hoping to be able to use Neo4J, because I've only ever had great experiences with it before, especially with the Cypher query language. It's a shame I have to move on, but with no response from the community, I am left with no other options.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JD202
Node Link

Following up, I've managed to create a database instance in a blank project, but I am unable to do so when running this code inside of a Spigot plugin. I have tried directly copying the working code over to no avail. I have also tried directly setting the apparently-missing configuration settings using setConfigRaw(...) with no success.

JD202
Node Link

A further follow-up.

I have re-checked every approach I have tried thus far, with no differences in success. I also attempted to load a neo4j.conf instance directly in to the DatabaseManagementServiceBuilder instance, using blank config files, files with only the aforementioned settings included, and even pre-written files I found online. None of these worked, I still receive the exact same error message.

I am stuck for what to do. I don't understand how this can work so seamlessly in a standalone application, yet struggle to work when launched via the onEnable() method of a Spigot plugin. The code execution is surely the same, so unless Spigot is running some peculiar back-end logic, I see no reason for these errors to exist.

I also cannot find reference to these errors anywhere in any documentation, sourcecode, etc. so understanding what internal Neo4J workings are responsible is difficult.

I really do appreciate any help that can be offered to this challenge and I am certain it will help any other future developers also encountering this same situation.

EDIT: All of the aforementioned steps were taken with Neo4J-Desktop fully uninstalled (including configuration files).

JD202
Node Link

I have come to a solution!

I am no longer using Neo4J!

Thanks, OrientDB.

P.S., this does seem to be an issue presented by packing Neo4J into a fat jar. I was using Gradle's shadowJar plugin. By using the mergeServiceFiles() setting, I was able to rid my console of the given error message, only to receive a brand new error stating that scala/Serializable could not be found (despite being present in the fat jar...). I tried specifically shading it into the jar using Gradle, with no difference in results.

So... I believe I've tried everything I can. I really was hoping to be able to use Neo4J, because I've only ever had great experiences with it before, especially with the Cypher query language. It's a shame I have to move on, but with no response from the community, I am left with no other options.

Nodes 2022
Nodes
NODES 2022, Neo4j Online Education Summit

On November 16 and 17 for 24 hours across all timezones, you’ll learn about best practices for beginners and experts alike.